Sunday, January 2, 2011

Arrival

Arrived last night. I had been informed that Victoria station was closest to the hotel I'll be staying. Turned out to not really be the case. When I popped up my GPS it told me it was a 1800m walk.

1800m is far when you're carrying two bags and have too warm a jacket.

There's no snow here! I knew it'd be a bit warmer, but since Heathrow was shut down due to snow just a week or so ago I thought there'd be at least *some* snow.

This driving-on-the-wrong that they do here is confusing. Yes, I do know where to look. Really I do. When in doubt I can even look down and see the "Look right", "Look left" that's written in the streets. But looking in the right direction is so ingrained in my brain that even when I know where to look, and I've read it in the street, I still sneak a peak in the other direction.

And when I got tired I had to stop, take a break, and look in all directions before crossing.

I've been to New York. When you're there you realize that everything actually does look just like in the movies. It's the ineffable feeling that the movies get just right. It's the same here.  London looks like a Doctor Who episode.

The waitress at dinner had lived in Norway for three years, so she got to practice her Norwegian. I'd rather get my English going before the first day of work, but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment