Sunday, January 2, 2011

Paperwork

I called the tax office in Sweden (Skatteverket) three times. I told them I had filled in the "Moving out of the country" form, but wanted to make sure that this is all I have to do in order to not have to income tax in Sweden. Income tax is progressively taxed in both Sweden and the UK, but Sweden has about 30%/50% where the UK has 20%/40% (very simplified).

The first two times the tax office told me that they will demand tax on my income if I live in Sweden. I told them that I won't. I'll just visit a few times. But what exactly is their definition of "live in Sweden"? They replied that they determine that "on a case-by-case basis". Uh... ok? So what are the criteria they look at? They couldn't tell me that.

The last time, however, I got hold of an expert on international tax. She told me that because I own an apartment (bostadsrätt) that I'll be renting out I will have an "unlimited tax duty". My girlfriend who doesn't own an apartment will have "limited tax duty". Uh-oh. That sounded bad. Turns out that since I will be working, living and most importantly paying taxes in the UK it still means that Sweden won't be taxing my income. Yay!

Cancel TV license (radiotjänst), rent out apartment, sell furniture (nobody wanted it, gave it away), arrange for transport of "stuff", ...

I don't really know why Försäkringskassan would want to know that I left too, since I've never had any contact with them, but the tax office told me to tell them, so I did.

Disconnected the computer way too late, on the night before my flight. There were way more cables than I'd remember putting in. There was the computer, temperature sensor, WLAN AP, hard drive dock, usb hub, usb hub 2, monitor, monitor 2, webcam, speakers, keyboard, mouse, uplink from switch, ... So I fixed that instead of sleeping properly.

The girlfriend will be flying in later in order to oversee the shipping of stuff, the cleaning and handing over the keys to the tenants.

No comments:

Post a Comment