Sunday, January 2, 2011

Shopping

Went out and walked randomly looking for a supermarket, but just found restaurants. With the help of the GPS i eventually found one. But where's the food? I'm sure it was there. There was some pasta, and plenty of snacks. Is this one of those countries where you have to go to the butcher for meat?

To be fair I don't do much food-shopping in Sweden either, so maybe I just couldn't see the forest for all the trees.

I did notice that they apparently mean something completely different when they use the word "free" than Swedens "gratis". I'm not really sure what they mean by "free" since the things that were "free" were sometimes just half price. In Sweden "gratis" means "free, requiring no money or other purchase". There is no such thing as "Free with every purchase". If it's free (gratis) then you can just take it.

I doubt that the "Free" 32" LCD TV came with no strings attached.

Bought a charger for my cellphone. All power plugs have a fuse here. Does that mean that there's no fuse box in your home? Do all outlets, even in homes, have a power switch? Time will tell.

The small shop (The Carphone Warehouse, "The Phone House" in Sweden) was filled with people. The whole thing was a queue. No queue notes (kölapp) here, no sir.

Bought a prepaid SIM at a supermarket for 2 pounds and topped it up with 30 more pounds. Was easy enough.

While I remembered to change the time on my phone to GMT, I forgot to set it in the camera. I will have to remember that all photos taken on Jan 2nd have the wrong timezone. I use a GPS for geolocation, which is why it matters.

Had mac-and-cheese in a can for dinner. It wasn't good. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment