Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Identity

I can still not understand that the way to prove that I am real, that I exist and that I didn't just make up my name on the spot is to provide a "proof of address" such as a utility bill.

I couldn't top-up my prepaid SIM because I couldn't enter my cards address. I hope that the deposit for the place we're going to rent is going to go through.

Fortunately the name of my employer has opened doors, but how it this supposed to work?

* You can't get money until you get a bank account
* You can't get a bank account until you have proof of address (bills)
* You can't get bills until you have somewhere where you live
* You can't get a place to live before you have a job and proof of your *previous* address!
* You need a NI number for your employer, but your also need an employer AND home address on your NI number application form.

It's a catch 22. Where are you supposed to start? It seems the only way to bootstrap the process is to "tweak the truth". I have a home address that is the hotel, and a mailing address at the office. I probably can't prove my "home address" since it would be strange if the hotel vouched for me.

I don't understand how my identity is somehow attached to where I live. If someone wants to confirm who I am and who my parents are, do they have to go back step-by-step every place I have lived until they get to "live with parents" and then go "Aha! That's who your parents are!"?

I'm hopefully more than halfway through the process now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment